Living Positively with Chronic Pain - 3 Tips


Living with chronic pain from rheumatoid arthritis and chronic since age five, 43 years now, has taught me a lot abouthow to manage my thoughts, emotions and mental focus to deal with it in a positive way. I’d like to share 3 of the numerous tips I have to to help you manage your pain and frustration from dealing with arthritis or any type of chronic pain or illness.
I have had 2 total hip replacements, 2 total knee replacements, 2 hip replacement revisions, 2 knee replacement revisions, 2 total shoulder replacements and been in hospital about 40 times. My arthritis affects every joint in my body from my jaw to my toes in some manner. I experience pain and/or range of motion restrictions in most joints.

Despite living with chronic pain 24/7, I always answer AMAZING when asked how I am doing. I say it with meaning because that is how I feel about 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time, answering AMAZING reminds me of the many reasons I can focus on about why I am amazing.

Tip 1 – Keep busy and active

I miss very few days of work due to my arthritis and pain. The reason for that is that working keeps my mind and body busy and focused on things other than my pain level. Anything you can do that distracts yourself and your focus, even if it is boring and unexciting, will help you deal with pain.

Daily activities like reading, speaking to loved ones, exercising, working, housework, gardening and numerous others are suggestions to consider.

Tip 2 – Think about poverty and suffering in the world and how well off you are

If you live in North America, or any developed country for that matter, you can always find many more reasons to be positive about your life than to be negative. Running water, adequate shelter and eating 3 times daily is not the norm in the world. Access to doctors and medications is not the norm in the world.People living in third world conditions are no nicer or more deserving of the life they experience than you are deserving of the life you experience where you live.

Tip 3 – Think about illnesses and diseases you do not have and are thankful for

This may seem like a strange tip so let me give you an example. I had a very good friend who passed away of kidney failure. I used to drive him to his dialysis treatments occasionally. I have what is almost a phobia level fear of any kind of blood work. Needles into muscles do not bother me in the slightest however anything to do with veins and blood has me almost passing out. I used to tell my friend how I admired his battle with kidney problems and dialysis because I would not be able to deal with it. He used to tell me how he admired me for living so positively with chronic pain because he disliked any kind of pain and would not have been able to deal with having arthritis and pain 24/7 throughout his body.

There are likely many diseases and illnesses you probably are glad that you did not get because it would have been more difficult to deal with. Be grateful and think about how thankful you are for the ability to deal with what your pain.

For more tips about how to manage chronic pain, contact me at the link below.

More tips for living with chronic pain here

To request free samples of the world's healthiest coffee, click on the Products link below.